- This event has passed.
Taking Care of Business – Online Course
March 14 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
An event every week that begins at 7:00 pm on Monday, repeating until March 28, 2022
Understanding the Business, Tax, and Regulatory Implications of Your Farm
This course helps early stage farmers assess and manage a variety of risks that they will face. Throughout the six weeks of the course, we will discuss topics essential for operating a viable farm business, including insurance coverage, business structures and tax information.
Beginner – This is an intro-level course supports aspiring and beginning farmers seeking to learn about the commercial, legal and tax implications of farming. Farmers outside NYS are welcome to take the course, but should know that extra legwork will be required on their part to determine the parallel agencies and regulations that apply in their state.
At the completion of this course, you will know how to:
- Describe five risks that farmers need to regularly address
- Comprehend the legal liabilities of operating a farm and selling agricultural products
- Find the resources necessary to better understand income and sales tax regulations for operating a farm.
- Evaluate various forms of business ownership and determine which will be best for you at this time
- Identify rules and regulations (for marketing, food safety, facilities, etc) that are pertinent to the type of agricultural enterprise you plan to operate
- Use insurance as a risk management tool
The bulk of the course happens on your own time, with discussions, readings, and assignments in Teachable, our virtual classroom. To add to the experience, webinars will be woven into the online interface of the course to allow you to meet on a weekly basis to learn from presenters and ask questions in real time. If you miss one, they are always recorded and posted for later viewing.
Live instruction for the 2021-2022 season will begin on Mon. Feb 21, 2022 from 7-8:30pm Eastern time, and continue for 6 weeks, with the final webinar on Mon. Mar 28. While we encourage live attendance so you have the opportunity to engage with the presenters and ask questions, all webinars we will be posted in our online classroom for students to watch anytime. Once you have enrolled in this course, you will retain access to all materials indefinitely, and can return to participate in the live webinars as many times as you wish.