Over 40 growers and landowners gathered at the Marbletown Communty Center on January 26th, to participate in an Ag Tax Incentives & Ag District Workshop, hosted by RVGA in collaboration with Cornell Cooperative Extension of Ulster County. (Part of our “Farmer to Farmer” 2017 Winter Workshop series)
The two-hour program, moderated by RVGA Executive Director Deborah DeWan, featured an expert panel that covered a variety of timely topics such as the ag tax incentive options, the ag district process and associated planning issues.
NOTE: The 2017 deadline to apply or renew the Ag Tax Assessment for property is March 1st; The application window to apply for Ag District inclusion in Ulster County is from March 1st through March 30th.
We would like to especially thank our speakers, who so generously shared their in-depth technical knowledge and years of experience in the field with a very appreciative and engaged audience!
- Michael Dunham — Assessor for the Towns of Marbletown, Rochester, and Rosendale
- Elizabeth Higgins — Ag Business Management Specialist with the Eastern NY Commercial Horticulture Program (ENYCHP)
- Jake Wedemeyer — District Technician, Ulster Co. Solid & Water Conservation District
- Burt Samuelson — Senior Planner, Ulster County Planning Department and Farmland Protection Board
Below is a selection of documents and other online resources that our experts provided to help those looking to learn more about the NYS Ag Assessment Program and other tax incentives:
Overview of the Agricultural Exemption Application Process
Click here to to download or print (PDF format) – document published by Assessor’s Office, Towns of Marbletown, Rochester and Rosendale
Inclusion Process for Getting Into an Agricultural District:
- Ag District Inclusion Flyer: Click here to download or print (PDF format) – document published by Ulster County Planning Dept.
- Step-by-Step Guide: Click here to download or print (PDF format) – document published by Ulster County Planning Dept.
Tax Incentives for Farmers and Ag Land Owners: Useful Links
Click here to download or print in PDF format – document published by Cornell Cooperative Extension
- Rural Tax Education Website: www.ruraltax.org
- NYS Business Incentives Page https://tax.ny.gov/bus/business-incentives.htm
- NYS Farm Bureau http://www.nyfb.org/
- NYS Sales Tax Exemption for Commercial Agriculture (NYS Dept of Taxation and Finance) and the NYS Sales Tax Exemption or Refund for Diesel Fuel or Gasoline used in Agriculture (NYS Dept of Taxation and Finance) are both found at this website: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/farmers_commercial_horse_boarders.htm
- NYS Agricultural Assessment Program (NYS Dept of Taxation and Finance) https://www.tax.ny.gov/research/property/assess/valuation/ag_overview.htm
- NYS Farm Building Exemption (NYS Department of Taxation and Finance) https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publications/orpts/farmbuilding.pdf
- NYS Farmers School Tax Credit (NYS Dept. of Taxation and Finance) https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/credits/farmers_school_tax.htm
- NYS Farm Bureau Fact Sheet on the Farmer’s School Property Tax Credit http://www.nyfb.org/img/topic_pdfs/file_za5b0jpxe2.pdf
- Farm Workforce Retention Credit (NYS Department of Taxation and Finance) – New in 2017! https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/memos/multitax/m16_7c_5i.pdf
- Tax Credits for Labor (credits for hiring hard to place workers) (NYS DOL) https://www.labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/factsheets/pdfs/p438.pdf
- Federal Bonding Program (NYS DOL) https://labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/factsheets/pdfs/p239.pdf
- Investment Tax Credit (NYS Taxation and Finance) https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it212i.pdf
- NYS Employment incentive credit (EIC) (credits for expanding your workforce if you also qualify for the Investment Credit) (NYS Department of Taxation and Finance) https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/credits/employment_incentive_credit.htm