Long before the earliest European settlers arrived, native peoples tilled the rich soils of the Rondout Valley, a fertile floodplain stretching from Kingston to Ellenville, between the Catskill Mountains and the Shawangunk Ridge. Today the Rondout Valley yields over 17 million pounds of food each year – plus flowers and herbs, nursery stock and Christmas trees, livestock and horse farms, and much more.
Our Local Farmers and Growers
• Provide us with high-quality, fresh, safe, local food
• Preserve local agricultural open space
• Protect the Valley’s fertile agricultural soils
• Raise livestock for food, work and recreation
• Connect farms to schools and children
• Reduce our carbon footprint
• Increase the health and well-being of the community
The Rondout Valley Growers Association (RVGA) supports our farming community – a diverse array of over 60 farms from 13th-generation families to newcomers. We are supported in our mission by local businesses, residents and the community to:
• Strengthen farms and our local economy
• Support innovative farming practices
• Help bring food security to underserved populations
• Build community among farmers, and between farmers, neighbors, schools and beyond
• Educate, celebrate and advocate about the importance of local food and local farms
The first hard frost in late October/ November generally marks the end of the growing season for most fruit and vegetable farmers in the Rondout Valley. But for this month’s Featured Farmer, chilly Autumn is when growing activities kick into high gear! Meet Kathy Puffer, owner of Hudson Valley Vertical Farms (HVVF), which uses an … Continue reading Let it snow, let it snow…let it grow (indoors)! – Hudson Valley Vertical Farms
Posts not found
RVGA is kicking off a little competition we’re calling the ABC’s of RVGA! This friendly game is offered to help you – our friends, supporters, lurkers and loved ones – get to know more about our farming community. There will be prizes. From A to Z, questions will be posted based on a consecutive letter … Continue reading Learn the ABCs of RVGA!
Hudson Valley Gives is an annual, 24-hour online event to harness the power of peer-to-peer fundraising and social media to benefit local non-profit organizations based in Ulster, Orange, Sullivan, Rockland, Dutchess, Putnam and Westchester counties. In the spirit of today’s community fundraising challenge, we ‘re offering some fun incentives to help you press that “donate” button! All online … Continue reading Today is Hudson Valley Gives! Join RVGA for a special one-day fundraising challenge…
Volunteering is a great way to support Rondout Valley farmers and our mission. Find out more by visiting our volunteer page.